I like summer, don’t get me wrong. We don’t get much of it in Northern Ontario, so I enjoy it while I can. The food is the best part of summer. Fruity drinks, fresh vegetables, and pretty much anything grilled. However, I am a much bigger fan of the cooler months, and the food that goes along with them, especially pasta.If I could choose one thing to eat for the rest of my life, it would absolutely be pasta. And pasta is just something that doesn’t get consumed much around here during the summer months. That makes me sad, so I have come up with a summery twist for my beloved pasta.
Fresh vegetables are a must for this summer pasta. We have a great little farmers market just down the road, where you can always find an abundance of delicious veggies. I went with asparagus, tomato and onion, but really you could use anything that is fresh and full of flavour.
Of course, the veggies must be grilled. I’m not sure we’re even allowed to eat a meal between June and September if at least part of it hasn’t been grilled. These veggies are so simple, but full of flavour, and add a satisying crunch to the dish.
What more could you want?! Fresh vegetables, extra spicy sausage, Parmesan cheese all over beautiful carb-filled pasta. This is heaven. The dish is so quick and simple, it took me no longer than 15 minutes to throw together. And it isn’t too heavy for those especially steamy summer days where you can barely move from your lounge chair.
Honestly I don’t move from my lounge chair very often, regardless of the temperature. With summer being so fleeting here I can’t help but feel guilty spending anymore time than necessary indoors. There is no better end to my day then to spend some time relaxing outside with a glass of wine and a good book. Throw in a belly full of pasta, and you might just have yourself the perfect evening.
- 3 cups asparagus
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 spanish onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 lb of spicy sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb paste (penne of fusili)
- 1/2 freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and then add pasta. Cook according to directions on package.
- Toss vegetables with olive oil and salt and pepper, then lay them out on a grill pan and grill for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a frying pan on medium-high heat along with the garlic, until the sausage is cooked through (about 8 minutes).
- Drain the pasta and add the sausage and garlic as well as the grilled vegetables. Toss with half a cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with sprinkled Parmesan cheese and fresh black pepper.
- Cooking time for vegetables depends on personal preference. I like my vegetables a little on the crunchier side!