I have not been adulting well this month. Probably because I’ve been sick for three weeks straight, but regardless, things have been falling through the cracks. Especially doing groceries in a timely manner, so I had to get creative with my meals. This one started from an “oh god I hope there’s something in the fridge” moment and turned into a “this is delicious let’s make this again” moment. This dish, in all it’s glory, is my Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta.
We are slightly more than half way through the month of March right now and I have already made no less than 5 pasta dishes. Even for me, this seems excessive. One week I had pasta for dinner every single night. This is not a healthy life choice, I’ll admit it, but I’ve really been craving some comfort food. And pasta is the ultimate comfort food in my opinion.
This pasta in particular is verrrry comforting. Maybe it’s the abundance of cheese? Maybe it’s the bacon? Or, maybe it’s the fact that I cooked all the vegetables in bacon fat. I think all these factors came together to make ultimate comfort dish.
Unfortunately, every family seems to have on member who cannot get on the blue cheese bandwagon. In this case, who cares. More for the rest of us blue cheese lovers!
- 500 g pasta
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 300 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup blue cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. Boil a large pot of boiling water for pasta. Cook pasta according to instructions
- 2. Meanwhile, cut bacon in small pieces and fry over medium heat until almost cooked. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.
- 3. Remove grease from bacon, leaving two tablespoons in the pan. Add the sliced onion and minced garlic. Brown for 3 minutes, then add mushrooms. Brown mushrooms slightly.
- 4. Add cup of water, bring to a boil and then continue to simmer for approximately 8 minutes.
- 5. Add cream and blue cheese. Stir until cheese is completely melted.
- 6. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over pasta and serve topped with additional pepper and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!